Saturday, December 4, 2010

Two things. In less detail than I would like.

First about the writing group:
As excited as I am to whiz away with a list of ideas for what to do, i am actually thinking I should hold off somewhat and let that process happen organically at the first meeting. I don't want to dictate the purpose/activities of the group as a whole and have realized that the first meeting should merely be a compiling of potential purposes/activities writing folks would like to have folk around for.

My list includes:
Basic sharing of texts generated for second opinions;
Brainstorming activities and the like;
Resource sharing;
(related that) Talk about publicity, promotion, and publication efforts;
Conversations about the politics of writing and being a writer;
Support-type get-togethers of different types (depending on demand);
and finally
Events planned specifically for generating new text.

I hope this list will grow. And I think for the first while or so I will step up to orchestrate events which have particularly sizable amounts of interest (meaning I might plan events I don't want/need to attend but hope others do).
I need to be attentive to cataloging all objectives suggested.


Second:
I think I want to look/dig into better promoting/publicizing my work in real world print. Having my poetry blog take off some (even a little bit), while making me insanely happy, has also made me realize that I could probably accomplish the same thing in print (with effort of course). At this point most of the folks who have bought me chapbooks have been friends/family/coworker etc. And I think I might be able to change that.

I am nervous about that. Hopefully I can step up and be as proud as I feel in front of those I don't know.

More on this point later.

No comments:

Post a Comment